Go to footer

help me please, grain mill!

Fragen, Erfahrungen usw.

Moderatoren: hansigü, Espresso-Miez, Lenta

help me please, grain mill!

Beitragvon stella_d » Di 26. Apr 2016, 16:26

Hi everyone! I'd like to have your advice about domestic mills, I've been looking in different websites, forums and after one year of search I still can't decide which model should I buy :kdw Domestic mills are not well-known yet in Italy and we don't have enough knowledge about them...so I'm asking you directly because you are definetly more expert about them.
I'm not sure which one to pick between Hawo's Oktagon 2 and Komo Fidibus XL, does anybody of you has one of them? Can you explain me which one is better?
I've red that Komo, other than Hawo's, gives you also the replacement stones...is it true? Because I couldn't find a place where I could buy the replacement stones....
How long are going to last the stones if I produce 20 kg (maximum) of flour every month? Are they going to last at least 15-20 years?
Which model produces a thinner flour? Which one heats less the flour in the grinding procedure? I've red a lot of good reviews about Hawo's but also I've found some publications about tests performed on different models and often the Komo was the best... or do you think that maybe a Schnitzer is better? Which website is better for buying a mill? I've found this website
www.getreidemuehlen.at/de/, do you know it? is it reliable?.... wooo a lot of questions... I know
but.. Help me Please! :gre
Thaks for your attention and I hope that your suggestion will help me taking my decision so I can finally buy my mill. XD XD
stella_d

Re: help me please, grain mill!

Beitragvon Eigebroetli » Di 26. Apr 2016, 22:29

Hi Stella! I have a Komo Fidibus XL and I'm very pleased with it's results. The flour is quite finely grounded, even finer than store (or mill) bought wholemeal actually.

I can't tell you much about its endurance and the stone replacement, though. It was a present for last Christmas. The temperature rises with the amount of grains milled at the time. While the temperature doesn't rise significantly after 150 g, it increases quite quickly after that and the flour gets rather too warm after 500 g and more. I haven't had the time to actually measure the temperature yet. I'll do so next time. Since I don't process large quantities at a time, the temperature "problem" doesn't bother me.

The mill is rather loud but I don't think it is louder than other comparable mills. A big plus is the large funnel and its speed (which is probably the reason why the flour tends to get too warm).

The Fidibus XL and the temperature increase are also discussed in this thread. Maybe Google Translate helps you with the details :)
Liebe Grüsse Alice

Eigebroetlis' Allerlei
Eigebroetli

Beitragvon sun42 » Mi 27. Apr 2016, 00:33

Hi Stella, welcome to the BBF.

I made very good experiences with Hawos Novum. You can find a test report ”here”.

If you use a domestic mill the maximum amount of grain is limited to “household quantities” due to the temperature rise of the mill stones and grain. It would be good to know which quantity you would like to process within one passage.
grüsse michael
sun42

Beitragvon Kimi » Mi 27. Apr 2016, 06:43

I have my "Osttiroler Getreidemühle" already 20 1/2 years and am still very satisfied with it
Liebe Grüße
Katharina
Kimi

Beitragvon sancho_pansa » Mi 27. Apr 2016, 09:25

I´m using a Hawos Novum and I´m satisfied with it. I do not have any comparison to another grain mill and furthermore I use it to produce about 1-2 kg flour a week, which is way less than your amount of 20 kg a month.
sancho_pansa

Beitragvon stella_d » So 15. Mai 2016, 13:33

Hi everybody! Thanks for your answers, you’ve all been very kind (Thanks for answering in English, because for German I use the google translate and I always need to interpret the result of the translation but it’s not that hard to understand it :mrgreen: ). I’m very happy that I’ve found your online community! When I’ll have my mill I’ll go through your recipes and suggestions carefully. I hope that I’ll be able to help with my own experience. In the end I decided to choose Hawos Oktagon 2, I’ve contacted a reseller and I asked him which were the differences between the two models and he told me that Komo Fidibus XL has a ventilation cooling system instead Hawos turns automatically off in case of high temperature. Hawos has also bigger stones and grinds more flour every minute (40g more than Komo), so it means that it can compensate the lack of a cooling system because I’ll have more flour in less time… but also because I want to keep low the temperature of the stones I was thinking I can use it with intervals of time allowing it to cool down. Hawos is better also for grinding corn and for both mills is possible to order the stones to the reseller: Komos 78€, Hawos 98€.
So in the end I think that Hawos is the best choice.
Thanks again to all of you when I’ll able to use it I’ll tell you everything about it and what I was able to cook! :kl
stella_d

Zurück zu Foren-Übersicht

Zurück zu Küchenmaschinen